Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Better then OSPF areas

This is just a thought I had durring a conversation today. Instead of doing OSPF areas to grow a OSPF network beyond Area0 try running 2 different OSPF processes on what would otherwise be your area border routers, then redistbute routes between those 2 processes. Route redistrabution offers you the ability to set your own rules about what goes between areas instead of be stuck with the rules of OSPF.

This may not work for every situation, but should work on Stubby and Not So Stubby Areas.

Full disclosure: I haven't tried this in a live network (yet) Right now, we only have Area 0 in our ospf network. I am considering doing this soon with a couple of routers I'm adding in what would be a NSSA.

If you have tried this, let me know.

No comments: