Friday, November 18, 2005

IPv6 Forum chief: the new Internet is ready for consumption

Crazy talk.

Here is a qutoe:
The Internet was not designed like this. It was designed to enable peer-to-peer and VoIP.

WHAT? No one even knew what p2p or VoIP was in 1978. I'm pretty sure the internet was designed so the President could control the missles if USSR attacked us.

To say that the intent of the design was some open any to any utopia is just false. And to suggest that any to any isn't available now is false. Even he states that 70% of Internet traffic is peer-to-peer.

Then he states that he doesn't want the walled garden of the Telco's, and blams NAT for that. (I'm not sure how one is tied to the other) Last I checked if I NAT, I have control over my private IP addresses and can easily move from ISP to ISP. This is NOT true with IPv6. You have to get your IP addresses from your provider, and if you want to switch providers you have to renumber your whole network.

IPv6 is a solution looking for a problem. I'm sure someday we will need more addresses, but that is far far way. My best guess is that only 10% of Intenret connected devices need public addresses.


This guys whole argument is aginst NAT. The problem is that NAT works, it cheap, and already deployed and understood. None of that can be said of IPv6.


Full Disclosure: If you want IPv6 today OneNet is happy to provide it, just give us a call ;)

No comments: